Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Brief Introduction + Nosaj Thing/Plump DJs/Venetian Snares

Everyone is making music these days. The soundscape of current synthesizers, drum machines, vocoders and laptop production sets, i.e. the digital instruments involved in polluting the raging young masses, deceptively attracts audiences via its layered and intricate output. When every track, from downtempo electro to progressive house to dubstep, produces audio orgasms never before experienced, it's easy to be satisfied with production alone.

Yet, amidst the overexposed field of modern electronica, where with each new variation emerges new genres, there are those select few who have innovated new compositional and technical possibilities that aren't mere applications of digital mediums but active meditations on potential.

I'm not about to clutter this blog with shit that sounds sweet, or come to you as an expert on a particular developing genre, the other contributors are probably far more qualified than I. Instead, I'll drop artists who I believe are actively redefining and challenging their respective fields, whatever that may mean....

Nosaj Thing - Fog (album: Drift)
[Music producer from L.A., genres: glitch hop, hip hop, dub]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNV3oYIkepU

Plump DJs - System Addict (Album: Headthrash)
[Two producers, genres: turntablism, breakbeat]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_jQ2XPQg0I

Venetian Snares - Crashing the Yogurt Truck (Album: Filth)
[Electronic musician, Aaron Funk, famous for composing tracks in alternate timing, genres: breakbeat, breakcore, glitchcore]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkrmnxsTuGY



Three different approaches to electronica. Check it, dig it, bump it.

No comments: